previous arrow

Page 15 - NHCF_UniquelyCustom_Book_Nov2016_Spreads
P. 15
thumbnail image

The Chapel of the Incarnate Word

San Antonio, TX
The Chapel of the Incarnate Word is a registered trademark of the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.

The Chapel of the Incarnate Word is a sacred space of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word founded by
three French sisters who came to Texas from Lyons, France in 1869. As the community grew a new Romanesque
structure was dedicated in 1907 to accommodate the growing congregation. The new choir stalls, part of the
chapel renovation in 2007, were modeled on those found in the great monasteries of medieval Europe. The
individual backs of each stall seat is adorned with Romanesque arched panels and quatrefoils. Each crowned
with carved rosettes and finials, several seats include an artistically detailed Canterbury cross.
previous    10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 next

 

 

 

 

 

next arrow